Cameos of Caring Award
Ellen Rudy, Dean of Pittsburgh School of Nursing, to recognize those “unsung heroes” on the front line of health care, started Cameos of Caring in 1999. In 2000, Dean Patricia Martin of Wright State University read about the recognition program and was certain Miami Valley Health Care agencies would participate in a gala to honor outstanding bedside nurses.
The award ceremony provides a unique opportunity to advance the nursing profession by honoring front line nurses for their caring, wisdom, dedication, and advocacy.
SWOSNA first participated in 2003 by nominating a school nurse for this prestigious award. Recipients of the award receive a certificate, a glass statue and video of the program. SWOSNA participates in this ceremony every odd year.
Nominee must meet the following criteria:
- Hold a current SWOSNA membership for the year of nomination.
- Is a licensed school nurse giving direct patient care.
- Demonstrate competent understanding of the art and science of school nursing with a strong desire to use this knowledge to improve the delivery of care given to children in the school setting.
- Possess a commitment to consistent clinical decision-making and excellent nursing care.
- Serves as an effective advocate for students, families, and the school community.
- By example, encourages and motivates others and is recognized as a role model for the profession of school nursing.
To nominate a SWOSNA member (Deadline Date-May 15th of odd years):
- Submit a written letter to the current Public Relations Chairperson, detailing how this nominee meets the criteria.
- Submit via U.S. Postal Service, email or fax.
Deadline for SWOSNA Board to complete “Intent to Participate” form and submit $3,000 participation fee (entitles SWOSNA to a table for eight quests- recipient, SWOSNA’s President or designee, person nominating recipient and five (5) quests that recipient choses) is July 15th.
Deadline for nominee submission:
- May 15 (Board will review applicants at transition meeting (May or June typically) because selection of recipient deadline for Wright State’s Publicity Information form is September 1.
- The Board will vote on the candidates.
- Winner will be announced at the SWOSNA general meeting in the spring.
- Award ceremony to be announced (could be February through March).